The Division of Arts & Humanities at New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Recording Studio Supervisor and Instructor of Music Technology. This position oversees all facets of the Recording Studio at NYUAD and more broadly assists in maintaining all music production facilities and supports the delivery of the curriculum as part of the academic support team for music. Availability on evenings and weekends may sometimes be required.
The Recording Studio at NYUAD’s Arts Center comprises 8 rooms including a live room, ISO Booth, ADR, Foley, machine room, and two control rooms operated as Studio A and Studio B but fully integrated. The three performance halls at the Arts Center have routing capabilities to the Recording Studio through Dante. In addition, the building currently houses six additional recording, mix & edit suites and a Multi-Purpose Performance Studio that features a state of the art multi channel diffusion system. All these spaces are used primarily to support the curriculum at NYUAD, faculty projects, and occasional collaborations with guest artists and/or third party entities through the university’s social impact program.
About NYU Abu Dhabi
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, over the last decade, NYUAD has assembled a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring and diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, our goal is to attract outstanding faculty who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and provide an intellectually rich environment.
NYUAD students come from more than 126 countries, with no single nationality exceeding more than 15 percent of the total student population. Likewise, our over 320 faculty members represent more than 45 nationalities and bring a global perspective to their classrooms and research projects. NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging and equity (IDBE), which is fundamental to the University’s commitment to excellence. Visit our website for more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values are fundamental to our mission.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school admissions, and other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the University; the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade as we develop new graduate programs.
Working for NYUAD
To help Academic Staff thrive, we offer a comprehensive benefits package. This starts with a relocation allowance to ensure a smooth transition to Abu Dhabi. It includes a competitive salary; furnished accommodation provided; educational assistance for your dependents attending school in the UAE; and access to health and wellness services. Click here for more information on benefits for you and your family.
- Post graduate degree in Music Technology or related field
- Full-time professional recording studio experience of at least three years in a professional and/or educational setting
- Extensive experience in recording different musical styles (experience in recording non-Western music and musical instruments is highly desirable), multichannel diffusion (ambisonic, ATMOS, etc.), and studio maintenance, calibration and equipment purchase/repair.
- Excellent knowledge of Pro Tools workflow in studio recording, miking techniques and use of outboard gear. Experience in sound for film and broadcast is desirable.
- Extensive skills in recording studio operation.
- Act as first point of contact for the Recording Studio at NYUAD
- Act as the main recording engineer for in-house recording sessions for faculty, students, researchers and guests
- Maintain and improve the NYU Abu Dhabi recording studio as well as other music technology and recording facilities
- Cultivate an environment of appropriate recording studio etiquette and safety
- Design a Foley stage for use in film and theatrical performances
- Oversee, manage and maintain the recording studio equipment
- Calibrate studio and equipment to meet high professional standards, ensuring prompt and proper repair of equipment when needed
- Assist in assessing, acquiring, and configuring music related software
- Act as an integral member of the academic support team for music
- Academically support classes in music technology
- Support music & sound related seminars and performances
- When appropriate, offer workshops on recording studio safety, operation, and other topics that may interest students and the NYUAD community at large
- More broadly, support all educational needs of the recording facilities
- Oversee and manage studio bookings and studio access
- Supervise student assistants and other technicians
- Coordinate procurement of recording studio equipment
- Assist in asset management of music & sound related inventory
- Liaise with leadership on Recording Studio upgrade options
- Act as liaison between different stakeholders, such as faculty, leadership, researchers, Arts Center production staff and other arts instructors
- Actively promote wider access to, and exploitation of, the recording facilities – guest artists, governmental agencies, regional scholars/practitioners, etc.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items:
- Cover letter
- Recording Portfolio
- Contact details for three referees. Letters of recommendation will be requested at a later stage.
We will begin reviewing applications immediately and we anticipate that successful candidates can start the appointment and relocate to Abu Dhabi in Fall 2023.
NYUAD is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from candidates who will enrich and contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our University, including women, under-represented minorities, and UAE nationals.
For questions about this position, please email [email protected]
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply. #nhuadinstructorcareers
This institution is using Interfolio’s Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.