Location of activity: Kakuma/Kalobeyei
duration: 11 Months(February 2023-December 2023)
Direct supervisor: Water Supply Assistant
About Peace Winds Japan
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH, food security, livelihood and logistics support to improve health and living environments of refugees and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance among the people affected by natural or human made disasters in and adjacent of Dadaab refugee complex, Kakuma refugee camp and Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement.
PWJ is a UNHCR partner responsible for WASH, warehouse management, motor vehicle service unit, centralized fleet and fuel management for Dadaab Refugee Operations.
Reporting to the Water supply assistant, the field monitor will be responsible for the monitoring of the day to day water supply at the community and timely reporting of any emerging issues to the supervisor. He/she will provide an overall liason role in water supply by linking the community,community leaders and the organization. He/she will ensure prompt communication to the community leaders and community on any delay or unavailability of water in the neighborhood or block.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Monitoring of ESTs and water access points
- Supervision of gate valve operators to ensure timely water supply to the community.
- Water quality monitoring at household level and at tap stand levels.
- Monitoring routine maintenance and servicing of Boreholes.
- Boreholes data management and BH/EST compound maintenance.
- Monitoring water supply in School; institutions & agencies within the camp.
- Community liaison focal person through Water committees and community leaders.
- Conduct water supply outreach awareness by open campaigns or community Barazas on water management and hygiene.
- Raise community awareness on water issues relevant to the community
- Identify community water issues; needs & problems; & help resolve water conflicts.
- Linkage for block leaders; school; agencies & institutions in water supply monitoring.
- Carryout capacity building for incentive staff and water committees.
- Work together with WASH committees, community leadership in the field in identification of problematic areas, water reticulation systems with a view of providing a durable solution.
- Collaborate with other agencies’ staff in the field during inter agency meetings and field discussions.
- Ensure filing of supporting documentations .
- Reporting of field activities on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities assigned by the team lead.
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Degree/Diploma in social sciences or water supply technology.
- Certificate in Microsoft office
- Good computer analytical skills
- Background work in humanitarian setting with 2 years relevant experience for diploma holders and 3 years experience for certificate holders.
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Experience in handling multiple project sites is preferable
- Leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to work independently with good reporting skills
- Results oriented individual, team player and uphold integrity
- Ability to effectively communicate and deal with team members
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Ability to adopt in a highly changing environment
- Strong leadership, management skills
- Motor cycle riding skills and possession of a valid driving License will be an added advantage.
How to apply
How to apply
This position is based in Kakuma Trukana County, Kenya.
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 29th January, 2023 to: [email protected] In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post.
N/A Indicate the position you are applying for in the subject of the email as ‘WASH FIELD MONITOR-KAKUMA’ . Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.